So I had the idea for these cookies when I impulse bought a box of Andes mints in the holiday section of Target, damn you Target… I spent way more than I thought on holiday sweets and here I am trying to figure out what to do with them. I had the vision of a chocolate thumbprint cookie and the Andes Mint smushed on top. Here is how it went down!
I started with creating a chocolate cookie base that would be the vessel for the classic and delicious Andes mint. These chocolate cookies have a nice crisp exterior and a melty, chewy interior. The addition of the mint on top make these a scrumptiously easy holiday treat.
- Andes Mints
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl (1 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp salt & 1/2 cup cocoa powder).
- In a stand or handheld mixer combine 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup butter and 1 tsp vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Add in the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Roll 1 inch balls of dough with your hands and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Immediately after taking the cookies out press a full Andes mint into the middle of each cookie.
- Cool for 12 hours to allow them to be stacked (chocolate cools) or eat while warm and melty!
The chocolate base cookie is absolutely delicious on its own but you can switch up the toppings if you feel so inclined! I tried out a peppermint bark square and they came out pretty good, a little too much candy for me on a cookie. But you could also try holiday themed Kiss candies… I saw some hot cocoa, white chocolate and more in the holiday aisle! The possibilities are endless!
If you try these out make sure to tag me @timewithtasman and #timewithtasman and leave a comment!!!
I hope you enjoy these delicious holiday cookies!