What can get better than a big bowl of chips and salsa? I’ll wait… nothing! My family has been making this pico de gallo for the past 10 years, we pile it on top of everything from tacos to salads to eggs in the morning. Its takes about 10 minutes to come together and just gets better with time.
- 7 roma tomatoes or 3 large tomatoes
- 1/2 white or red onion
- 1 bunch of fresh cilantro or coriander
- 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Wash all produce!
- Chop the onion. I like to chop mine really small because big chunks of onion is just not my jam. You can also use a food processor here if you have one.
3. Squeeze the whole lime onto the chopped onion. I had a friend tell me once that allowing the onion to soak in the lime takes away some of the bite of the onion? Not sure if that is true or not… But I usually do these two steps first!
4. Chop the tomatoes! My mom can’t have seeds so I deseed the tomatoes which eliminates a lot of extra moisture. Feel free to do this step, if not you will just have a wetter salsa in the end.
5. Chop the cilantro. You can also use a food processor here if it is easier for you!
6. Add in the salt and cumin! When I make it regularly I do these two to taste. But for a recipe purpose these are the measurements. Feel free to add more or less of either. I believe the cumin really makes the salsa so I would advise against omitting the cumin.
7. Mix it all up, do a taste test and adjust to your preference!
Some add-ons or variations:
- Add a serano or jalapeño pepper for some heat
- Add minced garlic for an extra flavor boost
- Use a food processor for the onion and cilantro if that makes preparation easier